What happens if you are harassed

If you feel personally harassed in any way, as a victim of crime, you should let the police know.

If someone is charged with the crime and you are worried about the accused being released, you should tell the police officer you are dealing with, or the Procurator Fiscal (PF), or your solicitor about any concerns as soon as possible. Further information is available on this website about the prosecution process.

Conditions for bail
If the Procurator Fiscal knows about any concerns you have, they may be able to ask the court for some special conditions for bail. If the accused person is released on bail, they will be told not to interfere with you, or any other witnesses, in any way. They must not behave in a way that causes, or is likely to cause, alarm or distress to you or any other witness. Sometimes (special) conditions will be attached to their bail. For instance, the accused could be told that they are not allowed to enter a certain shop, or go to a particular place. If the person does approach or bother you, you must tell the police straight away as they can arrest the person if they are breaking their conditions of bail