Victim Support Scotland

If you report a crime, the police may pass your details to Victim Support Scotland, but only with your consent. Victim Support Scotland can help in a number of ways, such as:

  • Providing practical help
  • Talking about how you are feeling after the crime
  • Helping you work out what you may need or may need to do
  • Listening to any concerns you may have
  • Helping with insurance or compensation claims
  • Providing advice and support about going to court, or being a witness
  • Helping with any questions you might have about what happens next
  • Helping you access other organisations that might be able to help you.

If the police do pass on your details, Victim Support Scotland will get in touch with you. They may telephone you or send a letter, then visit you soon after they are told about the case. If it is not appropriate for them to contact you at home because, for example, you are a victim of domestic abuse, the police will ask you how you want to be contacted before passing your details on.

You do not have to wait for Victim Support Scotland to contact you. You can contact them visit the Victim Support website for details of the nearest service to you. If you decide at any time that you do not want Victim Support Scotland to get in touch, or you no longer want their help and support, just let them know. It is your decision about whether to keep in touch with them.

There are other organisations in Scotland which can offer help and support, such as Rape Crisis and Women’s Aid. Victim Support Scotland can also give you advice about who to go to for specialist help.